2.10.2011

Places to Eat on the Lower East Side, New York City


 I've been so busy with school work that I haven't been able to cook so I figured instead I should post a bit about my favorite restaurants and coffee shops on the Lower East Side (Where I currently am dorming in NYC for school). For those of you who don't live in New York City.... these are the places that you should be visiting when you come down to the touristy Lower East Side. Good luck!



An Choi: 85 Orchard Street, NYC 10002
This Vietnamese restaurant has really great food. Their sandwiches and their noodles are really tasty and much lighter/less greasy than most other Asian style restaurants. The only problem with them is that they don't handle having a busy restaurant well.

88 Orchard: 88 Orchard Street, NYC 10002
By day it's a hip coffee shop with great pastries and sandwiches and by night it becomes a casual, but really nice dinner spot. The food it simple, but really good and their lattes have a lot of flavor.

Essex Street Market: 120 Essex Street, NYC 10002
Okay, so sure I don't exactly eat here, but it's where I do most of my food shopping. It's an indoor market with individual shops for different trades. The bread shop is some of the best bread I've eaten, there is a really great cheese shop, a meat shop, fish stand, chocolate shop, and lots of other shops for fruits, vegetables, and other staples.

Creperie: 135 Ludlow Street, NYC 10002
This Creperie is really good, they have lots and lots crepe options... I usually just get butter and sugar (the classic crepe)... They are open really really late most days are a bit expensive, and most importantly I think I'd eat here most often if I thought I wouldn't gain five hundred pounds for eating there every day.


Mikey's Burger: 134 Ludlow Street, NYC 10002
This place quite possibly has the best burgers downtown. They cook them all in front of you and their meat appears to be hand made since they are all rolled into balls and flattened when they begin to cook it for you. They have a lot of hamburger/vegetarian burgers options and the cute seats around the grill is perfect for the more eclectic lower east side feel.



Bruschetteria: 92 Rivington Street, NYC 10002
This place has a great atmosphere, it's all about drinking good wine with a nice meal. The only problem is that their coffee isn't so great, and that the food is hit or miss. Some of their dishes are absolutely fantastic and then others are horrible... there seems to be no in between. All of their bruschetta is really good, but then all of their pastas are horrible.... I think they may use ragu sauce or something... It's a risk to eat here, but if you pick your food well it's actually a really great restaurant.

Other really great places:
D'espresso: 100 Stanton Street, NYC 10002
Laboratorio Del Gelato: 188 Ludlow Street, NYC 10002
Congee Village: 100 Allen Street, NYC 10002
Teany: 90 Rivington Street, NYC 10002
Himalayan Cafe Inc: 78 East 1st Street, 10009
Bluebird Coffeshop: 72 East 1st street, 10003

No comments: