This salad is delicious and fun! Plan for an overnight bean soak if you're using dry beans. Prep and cooking time is about 60-90 minutes. Serves 10-12.
8 oz dry black-eyed peas
8 oz dry red kidney beans
1 large sweet potato
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/4 chopped fresh basil
3 flour tortillas
1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
1/4 cup sour cream or Greek-style yogurt
For the dressing:
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
For the guacamole, use your favorite homemade or store-bought recipe.
1. Soak the beans in a large bowl of cold water overnight. Drain and cook in a LARGE pan of rapidly boiling water for 30 minutes, or until just tender (taste test occasionally to check). Skim any scum that appears on the surface during cooking. DO NOT overcook or the beans will become mushy. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Chop the sweet potato into large pieces and cook in boiling water until tender. Drain and combine with the onion, bell pepper, tomato and beans. Stir in the basil.
3. To make the dressing, shake the ingredients in a container until combined. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using a small, sharp knife, cut cactus shapes or large triangles out of the tortillas, brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden.
5. Grab or make your guacamole.
6. Pile the guacamole in the center of the salad, top with sour cream or yogurt and arrange the cactus shapes on top.