2.09.2011

Pigment Power

As an add on to my earlier post about vegetable soup...

My work with oncology patients has steered me to take a vested interest in cancer prevention and prevention of cancer recurrence. Lately my interest has been piqued by phytochemicals, which literally means "plant chemicals." Hundreds have been found in plant foods, and have revealed nothing short of miraculous benefits in terms of disease prevention and health promotion.

When choosing my soup ingredients, I try to choose the most vibrant veggies I can find since the greatest number of health compounds are found in the most colorful foods.

Tonight, I decided to use the small cabbages we know as Brussels sprouts. These "cruciferous" vegetables contain sulphoraphane dithiolthiones, indoles, and isothiocyanates (among other health properties) all of which play very specific roles in cancer prevention. So amazing!

The soup was delicious too :)

No comments: