11.14.2009

Buttercup Squash Soup

I recently made this easy soup on a chilly fall night. It had a great balance of flavors and was very warming to the belly and soul :) Buttercup squash is a variety of winter squash that is sweeter than most and has a creamy, dark orange flesh.

I started by sauteeing one small chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves in a bit of vegetable oil.


Then I added the cubed squash, 1 large diced potato, 1/2 cup diced celeriac, 1/2 cup diced carrots, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon chervil and salt and pepper to taste.


I added 6 cups water, brought it to a simmer, and cooked everything for about 10 minutes.


Then I added a bunch of chopped kale, and simmered for about 5 more minutes.


I blended it with an immersion blender, but left some chunks of potato in there for texture.


Add some nice bread and you've got a healthy and satisfying meal!

3 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

That looks great. Your dad and I will have to work on this.

We just had some roasted vegetables the other night. They were good.

Rochelle said...

This looks so yummy! I love soups during winter. I love butternut squash soup, does the buttercup squash soup taste much different?

Mary Kay said...

Rochelle, I used buttercup squash because that's what I had (got it as part of a produce co-op share)... I don't think that the difference is that vast between it and butternut, so if you can't find the buttercup variety, I'm sure you can substitute butternut.