7.16.2009

Rice Pudding

Recently our family tried a great rice pudding at an Italian restaurant, which inspired me to look for a better rice pudding recipe than the one I had previously used. I found a recipe online which I adapted a little bit to suit my tastes, and it turned out to be pretty tasty! It was very creamy, not too sweet, and the arborio rice retained a nice texture.



Ingredients:

2 quarts whole milk
1 cup arborio rice
3/4 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
cinnamon, for garnish

Combine milk, rice, sugar, cinnamon stick, butter, vanilla and salt in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 50 minutes. Lightly beat the eggs, then temper them by whisking in some of the hot rice mixture. Add the tempered eggs into the rest of the rice, and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Pour the pudding into a large serving dish, sprinkle with cinnamon, and chill for at least 3 hours before serving.

4 comments:

Uncle Tom said...

Rice pudding has ALWAYS been a very favorite of mine. Our Mom used to make it for us long ago I could gorge myself on it. This will definitely be a recipe we will copy and KEEP. Dad.

Mary Kay said...

Dad, in that case I sincerely hope this is a worthy recipe, and if you find any ways of tinkering with it that make it better then please let me know!

Aunt Marilyn said...

Jon and I love rice pudding! This looks like a great recipe can't wait to try! Thanks for sharing.

Uncle Tom said...

I always liked it with a few raisins mixed in. With or without is just fine.