4.14.2009

Potato Leek Soup

I've been away from the blog for a bit... out of town, Easter holidays, Spring Break from school... we've been keeping it simple around the house and I haven't been doing much advance meal planning, not to mention taking the time to photograph my spur-of-the-moment meals... Here is one simple meal that I did take the time to capture.

Potato Leek Soup:
1 large bunch of leeks, bottom parts only, sliced thinly
5 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes
1 large pat of butter for sauteeing the leeks
1 quart of chicken stock
2-3 cups of water
salt
white pepper


First clean the leeks very, very well under running water. They tend to trap a lot of dirt within the many tight layers, so you will need to "unwrap" them before washing.

Then slice the leeks thinly.

Saute them in a heated pan with a large pat of butter. Stir frequently, over medium heat, until the leeks are very soft, about 10-15 minutes.


Peel and wash the potatoes, and slice very thinly. Add to the pot along with the chicken stock and/or water. You can use any combination, all chicken stock, all water, or some of both, but you will need at least 6 cups of liquid to cover the vegetables. Add a pinch of salt and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes.


At the end of 30 minutes, when the potatoes have cooked through, you will need to puree the soup. You can use a blender, immersion blender or a food processor if desired... I used my food mill. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle into serving bowls and serve hot. I garnished our soup with a bit of wild green onions that spring up in our backyard; they are kind of like chives.

I bet it would go well with some of that Irish Soda Bread below!
Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Thanks Mary. That looks really good and so easy to do.

cindyrella said...

LOVE this soup!! it will fit this rainy/snowy (STILL!!) day perfectly!

Rachael said...

Looks great! I love potato & leek soup. Mary, I am going to post a new recipe that I made last night using lentils since I know you are always looking for new ways to enjoy them.